EDF commissions Nam Theun 2 hydroelectric power station in Laos
May 17, 2010 - Datamonitor - energycentral.com
The EDF Group has commissioned the Nam Theun 2 hydroelectric power station in Laos, with a total power output of 1070 MW.
The Nam Theun 2 hydroelectric power station has been conceived and constructed by EDF on behalf of Nam Theun Power Company (NTPC), a 35% subsidiary of EDF.
The power station is equipped with 4x250MW turbo-alternator groups delivering electricity to Thailand's electricity grid, and 2x37MW turbo-alternator groups supplying electricity to Laos.
Approximately 95% of the electricity generated are therefore being exported to Thailand over 138km of high-voltage supply cable (500kV). The remaining 5% of output will be sufficient to satisfy around 20% of the annual electricity requirement of Laos, EDF said.
EDF will be participating in the operations of the power station as part of NTPC, within the context of a concession agreement signed with the government of Laos for a period of 25 years, with the Lao government then taking over ownership of the installation at the end of this term.